Skip to main content

lmst340-Assignment Twelve "Comics Women"

For this assignment, I decided to read This One Summer by Jillian Tamaki and Mariko Tamaki. It is the story of two young girls who only get to see each other when they are both in their summer cottages with their families. They have now known each other since the main protagonist Rose was five. As the summer progresses you can see slight differences between the two, Rose is more mature while Windy is more childish, you can see this start to wear on Rose as she is now more into her teenage years, therefore, more into that sort of thing.

What I really like about this comic is the fact that the art style has a very illustrated sort of look, something in contrast with the clean edges of more modern comics. This looks almost as if the protagonist herself had decided to make her life into a comic. I also really like that we only know (For the most part) what Rose knows. aI find the elements of the story that drew me in the most were those of the adults, especially Rose's mom. The subplot with the older teens was interesting but I felt like they could have had more development through the story, maybe a little bit of closure as to if she was cheating or not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

lmst340-Assignment Thirteen "Superheros"

For this assigned reading I read Neonomicon by Alan Moore. The story started off in the middle of two FBI agents going to interview a psychopath, they are looking into a copycat killer that is copying the man they are interviewing. After this, they go to a club to bust their suspect. He ends up getting away, then they go to his apartment, where they find his mother dead. (I'm not going to summarize the whole thing), I really enjoyed the art style of this graphic novel, it was clear and crisp, it was also detailed but not in a super realistic way. The story of this graphic novel really takes some twists and turns through the whole thing. The one scene in particular that stuck out to me was when the two FBI agents went to investigate the sex cult dungeon and one of them ended up getting shot and the other got raped. This stuck out to me because it was so unexpected, I didn't realize this graphic novel was so gritty. During this scene I had to stop reading for a little bit and c...

lmst340-Assignment Seven "Maus"

Maus by Art Spiegelman is a great graphic novel detailing the relationship between a son and a father, the journey of a Jewish man during the second world war and the horrible crimes committed by the Nazis. It manages to tell all of these stories in such a human and compelling way while also using mice as Jews, Cats as Nazis and pigs as the polish people. I most definitely think that this anthropomorphization of the animals reflects on how the different parties, Jews, Nazis, Poles all saw each other through the war, not as humans but as different species. Something else that really stood out to me was the artwork from this graphic novel. It really surprised me that there was so much detail in every single panel, while also remaining very simple and straightforward to understand. From simple things like drawing characters face with a line on the profile to make it seem like they are worried about something or someone, to important details like the armbands they used to identify jews dra...

lmst340-Assignment Ten "Manga"

For this assigned reading I decided to read Ranma. When I first started reading this comic, there were parts where I had to go back and read twice and even three times, because the gimmick in this comic is that Ranma is a boy who can turn into a woman whenever he/she gets wet. As well as Ranma there is his father, he transforms into a panda whenever he gets wet.  I think the concept is executed in a way that really works. I think the dynamic between Ranma and the three girls he lives with is something that I wish was explored further, instead they keep coming back to some jock in the school who likes both Ranma in his girl form and one of the girls Renma lives with. I really enjoyed the subtle hints through the comic of how Ranma was starting to also fall for the same girl the jock was after. The art style was very clean and exaggerated. I of crouse loved the fact that it was in black and white, the contrast really works well for the action that is happening in the comic. I think...